Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Adventures Abound

Apparently, I didn't get enough of shopping yesterday. So, when a fellow student from my dorm suggested that we go to Life, I agreed. Life, yes its the name of a store. Think two parts department store, one part grocery store. But a very big grocery store. I went to all three levels. Because I needed shampoo and conditioner. Because I needed kitchen ware. And, because I can never have enough food.
 
I was surprised that such a big department store (and wouldn't you know, it's a chain) had an English name. But, good for me because that meant many of the products were English brands. Which was good, so that I would buy shampoo when I wanted shampoo and not, say, fabric softener. Wouldn't that have been funny? Anyways, so the first floor was clothes and beauty products. Mostly. There was also a laundry aisle. And maybe more, I was a little awed to take it all in. So, I picked up most of my things there (you know, all the liquid toiletries that I left at home). And then went up a floor to the home goods floor.
 
                                                                                        

I didn't buy as much on this floor as on the first, because I really am trying to be budget conscious, but that doesn't mean I got away Scott free. See, they had this entire bin of really cute chopsticks (chopsticks I didn't need, by the way) for only 100 yen, which is approximately$1.25. I bought two pairs- the justification being that I could bring them back with me to America. Then we went to the stationary section, but I've decided to hold off on notebooks and really cool Japanese pencils until I know how many classes I'm taking. But, next to the stationary section was the book section. Guess what we found?
That's right. The Hunger Games. In Japanese. It really is a phenomenon. Couldn't contain my enthusiasm in seeing American culture spreading across the world!

Then we went grocery shopping, which I didn't buy too much of. But, I found cheese! I don't know how it tastes, but the packaging says it Gouda. I love Gouda, it's my favorite cheese.And, I bought some other snack foods because  I just couldn't resist. Did you know they have flavored KitKats in Japan? Apparently its a really big thing. Yeah, busted... I so bought vanilla ice cream KitKats.

So, after the discover of the many flavored KitKats, we checked out and left the store. Which by the way, if you ever go to the department store in Japan, remember you must pay for your purchases by floor. We didn't know that, it got awkward at the check out counter. Luckily one of the students I was with is really fluent in Japanese and was able to help sort it out.

Then, it was lunch time. Did you know that McDonalds is cheap no matter which country you go to? We did. And cheap for college students is the best. So, for a grand total of 220 yen I got a cheeseburger and a Coke. And guess what, this McDonalds is right next to the station I have to take to get to school every day. I think I found my new best (cheap) friend. Or maybe not, considering how much food I've bought.

So, after lunch, we headed to the electronics store. We looked at the phones, though none of us bought any. And then headed over to the rice cookers- they were not cheap, so we passed on those too. But, I did get a fan. Both to cool the room and to create some white noise as I sleep. I'll have to look around for a used electronic shop to find a rice cooker.

So after a very adventurous (and fruitful) shopping expedition, we came back to the dorms. Then another student mentioned that they had found the park. What?! I couldn't miss out on that action. So, I asked them to show me. It's a full fifteen minutes away, but a pretty straight shot. And the park is huge!
Field in the park.
Part of the jogging trail.


 The park actually has a lot of shrines around it (that's how we knew we had reached the park). But, I was really excited when we got half way around and there was a real Shinto shrine! Now, I don't know Japanese protocol when it comes to honoring shrines, but I took a bunch a pictures (I hope that I don't offend the locals).
Entrance 


Close Up.






Shrine.
Really cool. But, then it was getting kind of late, so we decided to head back to Azalea. Except we got lost. Twice. But, we figured it out for ourselves without having to ask for directions. Though I did have the Azalea business card with me, just in case.
Then it was really late, and I didn't want to have to figure out the stove. So, we went to the local コンビニ for dinner. I got tempura. It was delicious. 
 
Then I got nine hours of sleep! No waking up multiple times in the middle of the night for me! I think it was the fan, honestly. There is nothing like the white noise of the fan that helps me get to sleep. Then I went back to the park this morning for a run- gotta start now or I never will! When I got back I tried to make coffee. I figured out a problem. Either I am technologically challenged, or my stove is broken. I really hope it's the former, that's easier to fix. I'll have to ask the dorm manager when she arrives later this morning. 
As for today. Today I go to Sophia (for the first time!) to get to orientation. I'll let you know what my first impressions are later.                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment