Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

It is now 2013 here in Japan, and for some reason that seems strange to me. Maybe because of the number 13? Or maybe because I was actually awake when New Years came around this year? I dunno.

Anyway! New Years Eve started off with dinner at the Italian restaurant again. This time I had a fondue bread bowl and chicken nuggets.... the pizza was much better. Though I did enjoy the melty goodness of the fondue. I went to dinner with two girls from my apartment, and we were trying to decide what we wanted to do for the night. We discussed going to one of the larger temples in Tokyo, but were worried they would be packed. Eventually we decided to do a midnight visit to the local temple.

In Japan, the tradition for New Years is to go to the local temple and listen to the gong ring one hundred and eighty times. The nice thing about going to the local temple is that we were able to participate in the ringing of the gong. I think I and my partner were the 108th ring last night. After we finished with our turn, we were invited inside the executive building at the temple to drink hot chocolate and eat snacks. We ended up talking to an older Japanese man for a while. He was a little hard to understand because he mumbled, but I was able to respond a little bit!



 
After we finished our complimentary drinks, we headed back to the apartment to take place in the American tradition on New Years- champagne! Or well, it might have actually been sparkling wine. But, it was rather tasty for being so inexpensive!! By the time I had finished my glass, it was rather late and it was time for bed.

May every one else's New Year be as fun as mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment